Monday, June 4, 2012

Self-keeping

"We will, I suppose, get used to each other, the feel and smell and look of one another, but I am glad it is not so now. As I never felt before, I feel now that I must keep myself for you. God knows it is a stay to purity, and He knows how many shakings to purity are ahead."
~ Jim Elliot

Marvelous. One day I was considering singleness, the other day a bee among flowers, and now self-keeping.

But the calling is straight forward: "Be holy as I am Holy". And to love one person, a truly deep kind of love, will want to give her all, completely, perfectly. To save the best for the last, and to keep that for one special person forever. That is love. A pure one.

Easier said than done, of cause. Especially for one who had tasted, altough just a small portion, how sweet it could be. To restraint oneself from such a good thing is agonizing, some say cruel, but important if one would want to have a real, pure, lasting love.

So it is only by His grace that keep and enable us to keep ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment